Get up close and personal with sharks, rays, dugongs and more at Sea Life Sydney Aquarium
Looking for something exciting to do with the kids in Darling Harbour? You’ve just found it! Sea Life Sydney Aquarium is one of Australia’s premier attractions, featuring hundreds of species of marine life and exhibits that are both entertaining and educational.
The exhibits, recreated habitats and animals on show are so incredible that even big kids (AKA adults) are guaranteed a good time! Tickets are available online to the Aquarium alone, or can be grouped with other awesome attractions like Madame Tussauds and Wild Life Sydney Zoo.
The best thing to do with kids in Sydney
Short of diving in the Great Barrier Reef, there are few better ways to get up close and personal with Australia’s diverse and colourful marine animals than a trip to Sea Life Sydney Aquarium. You’ll see massive sharks, adorable penguins, dugongs, stingray, sea stars, shellfish, seals and more from all angles through over 100 metres of glass viewing tunnels.
Thanks to Sea Life Sydney’s location near Darling Harbour’s best restaurants, bars and entertainment, it’s a great activity for visitors who want to see as much as possible while they’re here. Just make sure you book in advance because tickets often sell out.
Nine interactive zones at Sea Life Sydney Aquarium
Exploring all nine of Sea Life’s interactive zones, from Dugong Island to Shark Valley, is definitely one of the best things to do in Sydney.
- At Penguin Expedition, you’ll have the chance to get within inches of colonies of gentoo and king penguins waddling and splashing about a recreated Macquarie Island habitat.
- If you’re brave, stroll through Shark Valley to get close to some of the world’s biggest aquarium predators like grey nurse sharks, smooth rays, and hulking black cod. While you’re there look out for Big Mouth, the aquarium’s biggest ray!
- For the best Great Barrier Reef Experience in Sydney, head to the ‘Day and Night on the Reef’ exhibition. This is the largest Great Barrier Reef exhibition in the world, using state-of-the-art technology to create an immersive experience that recreates life on the reef across 24 hours.
- To see Pig the dugong, head to Dugong Island where he wanders around at a leisurely pace surrounded by white spotted eagle rays and bamboo sharks.
- Talk to a marine expert and touch sea stars, shark egg, shells and more at the Discovery Rockpool!
- Explore a shipwreck inhabited by countless animals native to southern oceans, including a colony of busy little penguins.
- See underneath the world’s most famous harbour at the Sydney Harbour display, where you’ll see a snapshot of the 600 species that inhabit this important ecological area.
- Finish your day by going back in time and venturing to the bottom of the ocean where fossils are buried. Learn evolution and how life began and get close to weird and wonderful deep sea fish.
Experiences at Sea Life Sydney Aquarium
Have you had dinner with a penguin? Sea Life Sydney Aquarium’s amazing private or group dining experience gives you a chance to do just that.
You’ll get a 45 minute exclusive after hours aquarium tour, a delicious three course menu and premium 2-hour beverage package. And the best part? You can choose from six dining locations including Turtle Beach, Heart of the Reef and the Reef at Night.
Getting to SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium
A day at SEA LIFE is one of the best things to do in Sydney, especially if you’ve got little ones in tow. Getting here is easy whether you’re travelling by foot, car or public transport:
- Walking: the Aquarium is less than 10 minutes walk from Sydney CBD.
- Driving: Darling Square carpark, Harbourside carpark, Darling Park carpark and many more offer discounted daily rates when you book online and use Sea Life’s special discount code.
- Public transport: the Town Hall Train Station is the closest to the Aquarium and there are several bus stops nearby.
Want to make sure the kids have an awesome day? Take them to one of Darling Harbour’s favourite attractions - Sea Life Sydney Aquarium.